Beer Braised 420 Tacos
- 4 bone in chicken thighs skinned
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
- 3 TBSP medicated extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown ale
- 1 tsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- 4 center cut bacon slices
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 Granny Smith apple julienned
- Shredded havarti cheese
- 8 x 6 inch tortillas
- Heat a skillet over medium high. Coat pan with 1-2 TBSP oil.
- In separate bowl combine beer, flour, and sugar, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until browned.
- Turn chicken over and cook 2 minutes.
- Slowly add beer mixture to pan; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.
- Remove chicken from pan and allow to cool.
- Remove from bones and shred.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil, then reduce to 1/3 cup.
- Return chicken to pan; toss to coat.
- Cook bacon until crispy.
- Remove from pan saving 1 TBSP of the drippings and transfer to bowl.
- Add remaining 1-2 TBSP oil, vinegar, and mustard to drippings and whisk.
- Coat bacon, carrot, cabbage and apple in oil mix.
- Heat tortillas in oven on 350 for 5 minutes or until desired crispness.
- Add chicken to tortillas and top with slaw.
- Voila! You have a delicious and healthy meal.
You can make the meal healthier by not using shells and creating a taco salad with small thin strips of tortilla. Avocado adds an incredible source of protein and healthy omegas. For a twist, blend avocado, sour cream, and lemon juice and add as topping!